1 of 12
EnMD lead story
2 of 12
David's FriendshipThe distinctive stone house (circa1780) in Washington County is in need of a buyer and restoration.
3 of 12
The Dee of St. Mary'sThe Dee of St. Mary's is strongly symbolic of our state's ties to the Chesapeake Bay.
4 of 12
National Park Seminary's GymnasiumThe National Park Seminary's (NPS) Gymnasium was a unique addition to the list because the nomination was solely for a building that is part of a campus in overall good shape.
5 of 12
Anchor of Hope CemeteryIn Dorchester County, the Travers' Anchor of Hope Cemetery in Hoopersville is the final resting spot of 150 Marylanders, all of whose remains will soon be washed into the Chesapeake Bay if shoreline erosion can't be stemmed.
6 of 12
Roland Water TowerThe tower, its staircase, and the surrounding park-like setting represented the aesthetic principles and values of the City Beautiful Movement, a turn-of-the-century planning and design movement inspired by the Chicago World's Fair of 1893.
7 of 12
Bean BarnIn 2004, the National Trust for Historic Preservation listed southern Maryland's tobacco barns as one of the 11 most endangered historic sites in the U.S. These barns represent the agrarian life that has defined St. Mary's County, and the state, since 1634.
8 of 12
The Peale Municipal BuildingThe Peale building was the first structure commissioned in America for museum purposes, in 1813, by artist Rembrandt Peale and his brother Rubens. Tthe Peale also served as City Hall from 1830 to 1878 before becoming one of the earliest "colored schools" (1878-1889) and transforming into Baltimore's only municipal museum for 65 years (1931-1996).
9 of 12
The McKim Free SchoolDesigned in 1835 as a replica of an ancient Greek temple, the structure has been called a perfect example of pure Doric architecture. It was built to provide an education to the poor children of Baltimore without respect or preference to any religious sect or denomination.
10 of 12
Perpetual BuildingThe 1958 stone and glass Silver Spring Perpetual Building, with its polished granite exterior and original aluminum canopies, has been called "one of the best examples of commercial modernism from the 1950s in the Mid-Atlantic Region' and "a particularly original and elegant composition of modern architecture."
11 of 12
Wetipquin ChapelThe Wetipquin Chapel, in rural Wicomico County, is the oldest standing structure connected to Methodism and one of very few surviving early-period meetinghouses on Maryland's Lower Eastern Shore.
12 of 12
Miller's HouseThe Miller's House, owned by the original miller of Wye Mills, overlooks the state's oldest operating grist mill, an integral part of the Wye Mill complex during the 18th and 19th centuries and one of the few vernacular houses remaining from that era.
EnMD lead story
The Dee of St. Mary's
National Park Seminary's Gymnasium
Anchor of Hope Cemetery
Roland Water Tower
The Peale Municipal Building
The McKim Free School
Like old friends reuniting, Endangered Maryland selection committee members greeted each other before sitting down around the polished mahogany table in Preservation Maryland’s historic headquarters in Baltimore.
For the fifth year in a row, Preservation Maryland, the state's oldest historic-preservation organization, and Maryland Life have partnered to create Endangered Maryland, a list of our state’s 11 most endangered sites at real risk of disappearing.
Selecting which pieces of history to preserve is a difficult task, especially with the economy struggling. As committee member Edward Day, director of the Riversdale Historic House Museum, says, “Particularly in dire economic times, there is a need to triage and really look at cost and feasibility of a solution.”
Endangered Maryland’s selection process may sound simple: Committee members review applications detailing the predicaments of significant sites and whittle down the candidates to a final list. However, nominators, well aware that the selection of their particular beloved site may mean the difference between restoration and extinction, make passionate pleas for inclusion on the list. Because of that, the final selection process can be grueling.
Despite his busy schedule, Dr. Donald Linebaugh, an associate professor and director of the Historic Preservation Program at the University of Maryland, has chaired the Endangered Maryland committee since its inception.
“This is so important because many of the sites that are selected are what Marylanders don’t know about,” says Linebaugh. “They are off-the-radar, nontraditional sites, from under-represented groups and, many times, these sites are important but they are not the ones preservationists have gotten warm and fuzzy about.”
He continues. “Getting this group together helps challenge all of our notions about what is important, because we hear perspectives and stories from different counties, different walks of life, and different employers. It’s impossible for any of us, as practitioners, to know all of the nuances and spaces and places and stories.
“Personally, I always walk away knowing something I didn’t know before.”
As in years past, the Endangered Maryland list is embargoed until publication. This year’s selected sites are:
Anchor of Hope
McKim Free School
Peale Municipal Museum
Roland Water Tower
National Capital Region
National Park Seminary’s Gymnasium
Bean Tobacco Barn
Dee of St. Mary’s
The Selection Committee
Donald Linebaugh, Ph.D., University of Maryland (committee chair)
Mary Catherine Cochran, Preservation Howard County
Edward Day, Riversdale Historic House Museum, Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Carol A. Ebright, Archaeological Society of Maryland
Marilyn Benaderet, Preservation Maryland
Elizabeth Hughes, Maryland Historical Trust
Kathy McKenney, Department of Community Development (Cumberland)
Clifford Murphy, Ph.D., Maryland State Arts Council
Roz Racanello, Southern Maryland Heritage Area
Amy Seitz, Main Street Maryland
David Wiles, Clear Spring District Historical Association
Nell Ziehl, National Trust for Historic Preservation