· Visit the beautiful C&O Canal National Historical Park and stop at Lockhouse 10 and Lockhouse 25 (Edward’s Ferry) to learn about the history of the Canal. Hear Civil War-era music performed at Lockhouse 25 throughout the afternoon
· Celebrate local history at Clarksburg Heritage Day with tours, exhibits, music, and children’s activities in the town’s Historic District.
· Discover local railroad history at the Historic Silver Spring B&O Railroad Station and the Gaithersburg Community Museum, a restored 1880s railroad station complex with displays, model railroads, and children’s activities.
· Explore historic Sandy Spring at the Sandy Spring Museum and Sandy Spring Slave Museum, with fascinating exhibits and hands-on activities; enjoy a walking tour of the historic village.
A special addition to this year’s Heritage Days is The Civil War Comes to Rockville on Saturday, June 29! This full day of activities (10am to 8:30pm) will commemorate the 150th anniversary of Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart’s march into town on his way to Gettysburg. Just some of the family-friendly, FREE programs will include:
· Lectures on the Civil War and African American history in the Grand Courtroom of the historic Red Brick Courthouse
· Concerts by Washington Revels Heritage Voices, Jubilee Voices, and Roustabout String Band at Christ Episcopal Church
· Historic reenactors, craft demonstrations, music, and children’s stories and games at the Beall-Dawson House, plus a visit from “President Lincoln”
· The Federal City Brass Band in concert and parade
· “Civil War and the Underground Railroad” walking tours of historic Rockville
· Reenactment of J.E.B. Stuart’s 1863 ride into town and citizen roundup at Christ Church
· An evening Community Country Dance in the Rockville Town Square
Heritage Montgomery’s partners for The Civil War Comes to Rockville are the City of Rockville, the Conference & Visitors Bureau of Montgomery County, Montgomery County Historical Society, Peerless Rockville, and Washington Revels.
For detailed information on Heritage Days and The Civil War Comes to Rockville, visit the Heritage Montgomery website at www.HeritageMontgomery.org or call 301-515-0753.