Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, is a restored, five-part, stucco-covered brick plantation home built between 1801 and 1807. Construction of this elegant manor house was begun by Henri Stier, a Flemish aristocrat, and was completed by his daughter Rosalie and her husband George Calvert, grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore. The Federal style mansion has particularly fine interior decorative detail. Numerous nationally significant figures later lived there. The site is also home to a museum shop.
The museum is open to the public for docent-guided tours and for a variety of special events. It may also be rented for weddings, receptions, luncheons, and business meetings for groups of up to 75. The Riversdale Historical Society, a volunteer organization, works with staff from The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission to preserve the cultural heritage of Riversdale and maintain the mansion as an historic house.